Connecting, Collaborating, and Convening Our Movement
The American Independent Business Alliance (AMIBA) is celebrating twenty years of promoting the growth and development of local independent businesses. AMIBA is now the leading organization in the US that partners every day with independent business alliances (IBAs) and other allied local and national organizations to build strong local economies.
We work toward our mission by connecting, collaborating, and convening our movement stakeholders to take action that has resulted in the following key accomplishments;
- From the beginning of the Pandemic, AMIBA stood at the forefront of supporting local businesses in surviving and ultimately thriving by sharing successful strategies and programs. AMIBA played a critical leadership role in joining with like-minded organizations like the ASBN to obtain federal and local financial aid for small businesses hit hard by COVID-19 closures and restrictions.
- Encouraging communities to shop local all year long with a particular emphasis on the holiday season with our Shop Indie Local programs that include Plaid Friday, Small Business Saturday, Cider Monday, and Artist Sunday. AMIBA has 108 local partners representing 33 states engaging in this campaign even as I write this letter.
- Providing leadership on how to build a more inclusive and equitable economy by supporting entrepreneurs of color, leveraging programs that meet their needs, and promoting diversity and inclusion always. In 2020 AMIBA made racial equity the center of our mission, and we are moving forward on making that commitment real and profound.
- Supporting local IBA’s through a wide variety of networking and educational programs like our Local Leaders Roundtables that enable these important leaders to more effectively support local businesses in their communities.
- Catalyzing over 400 local businesses through events like the Access to Markets Symposium featuring Senator Amy Klobuchar that allied with organizations like Small Business Rising to support policies that reverse the unfair practices of large monopolistic corporations that dominate local businesses in the marketplace.
- Working with the American Sustainable Business Network (ASBN), AMIBA developed a coalition of 40 diverse nonprofit organizations from every region in the nation that are committed to building a more equitable economy.
AMIBA serves as the authentic voice of small business in the US as we work closely with over 100 organizations representing 32 states and 60,000 businesses. AMIBA has consistently played a major leadership role in building local economies everywhere. We are now poised to jump up to a new level of impact by expanding all of the above programs and creating innovative ways to change our world for the better. AMIBA is ready, and the bottom line is….WE NEED YOUR HELP TO INCREASE OUR IMPACT!
Our objective is to raise $10,000 by January 1. We have identified a small group of supporters who have already pitched in and offered to make a combined matching challenge donation of $5,000. Please consider making a tax-deductible donation today. Every dollar of your donation will be doubled thanks to these generous matching donations.
You can make a one-time donation or set up a recurring monthly plan at amiba.net/donate/.
We’re grateful for your support and we wish you a happy and healthy holiday season!
American Independent Business Alliance